Requests for Proposals: National Geographic “Recovery of Species on the Brink of Extinction” Grant Program 2020
Deadline: April 10, 2020
National Geographic is requesting for proposals for the Recovery of Species on the Brink of Extinction Grant Program 2020. The mandate of the IUCN Species Survival Commission (SSC) is to “stimulate, promote and support conservation actions for halting biodiversity decline, preventing species’ extinctions, and restoring and conserving intact habitats and ecosystems, both on the ground and in the water”.
In partnership with the IUCN SSC and Fondation Segré, the goal of this request for funding is to halt further biodiversity decline by implementing conservation plans for species and groups of species. They will support priorities of IUCN SSC Species Conservation Plans as well as conservation actions that are endorsed by the relevant IUCN SSC Species Specialist Group. Currently, they are not supporting biodiversity assessments or conservation planning activities.
- Typical proposal requests should be less than $30,000; however, applicants may request up to $50,000. Successful applicants may use awarded funds over one or two years.
Proposals that focus on the following themes are encouraged:
- Specific and defensible priority actions to avert decline of a species or group of species;
- Projects that include the active involvement of early career conservationists;
- Projects that support conservation leaders from the countries where the species or group of species occur
They require that all applications include a letter of endorsement signed by Chair, Regional or Thematic Leader of the relevant IUCN SSC Species Specialist Group. This endorsement letter should indicate that the proposal either:
- Explicitly address priorities defined in a published IUCN SSC action plan, which you can find here and here.
- Addresses a conservation action identified as a priority even though no plan for the particular species or group of species has yet been published.
Please note that applications without a completed and signed endorsement letter will not be considered.
Please see the Preparing Your Proposal page regarding budgetary guidance.
For more information, visit NatGeo.