Open Society Foundations Civil Society Scholar Awards 2021 for Doctoral students and University faculty (Up to $15,000)
Deadline: July 22, 2020
Applications are open for the Open Society Foundations Civil Society Scholar Awards 2021. The Scholarship Programs’ Civil Society Scholar Awards support doctoral students and university faculty to undertake academic projects that will enrich socially-engaged research and critical scholarship in their home country or region.
The awards look to support academic research conducted within any field of the social sciences and humanities, but will prioritize research which specifically addresses pressing societal issues within the following themes, broadly defined:
- Defense against rising authoritarianism.
- Sustainable development, climate action, and mitigating the effects of climate change.
- Economic justice and worker rights.
- Information democracy.
- Addressing the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on an applicant’s home country or region.
- Applicants can request for funding up to $15,000.
The awards are open to the following academic populations:
- Doctoral students of eligible fields studying at accredited universities inside or outside of their home country
- Full-time faculty members (must have a minimum of a master’s degree) teaching at universities in their home country.
Candidates must be citizens of the following countries: Afghanistan, Albania, Angola, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Burundi, Cambodia, Democratic Republic of Congo, Republic of Congo, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Georgia, Haiti, Kosovo, Laos, Libya, North Macedonia, Moldova, Mongolia, Myanmar/Burma, Nepal, Palestine, Rwanda, Serbia, Sudan, South Sudan, Syria, Swaziland, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Yemen.
Civil Society Scholars are selected on the basis of
- their outstanding academic record as well as their active engagement with local communities
- their potential to champion open society values in their home regions, and
- their ability strengthen critical scholarship and academic networks within their fields.
Applicants are strongly advised to submit their application online.