U.S. Department of State Algerian Youth Leadership Program 2021 (Fully-funded to the U.S.)
Deadline: November 29, 2020
Applications for the Algerian Youth Leadership Program 2021 are now open. The Algerian Youth Leadership Program is a leadership development opportunity for Algerian and American youth, ages 15-17. This cultural and academic exchange takes place every June and July in Reno, Nevada and Washington, DC.
The program employs a highly interactive approach both in workshops and in a range of public and community settings. Through engagement in the activities, youth and adult participants will better understand civic participation and the rights and responsibilities of citizens in a democracy, and the role that social enterprises play in a community. The program is highly academic. One of the goals of the program is to provide participants with the skills to complete a required post-program service project in their local communities.
- This program is fully funded by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
Youth who are eligible to apply must:
- Be a legal citizen of Algeria.
- Be 15, 16 or 17 years old on June 11, 2021.
- Have at least one year of high school remaining after the program. If you are selected as a semifinalist, you will be required to submit an original high school transcript and a school certificate to verify that you have at least one year of high school remaining.
- Have demonstrated English skills, sufficient for understanding academic discussion and everyday social interactions.
- Have demonstrated leadership in their schools and/or communities.
- Have interest in the program themes of social entrepreneurship, leadership and project development and would like to participate in academic classes and do work to develop in these areas.
- Have permission from their parent(s) or legal guardian to participate in the entire program.
- Not have a familial relation to the Northern Nevada International Center, their Algerian partner Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développement, or the U.S. Department of State.
Adults who are eligible to apply must:
- Be legal citizens of Algeria.
- Work actively mentoring youth in their professional or volunteer activities.
- Be community leaders.
- Have excellent English.
- Be committed to working with the Youth Leadership Program participants after their return from the United States to assist in the implementation of community projects.
- Have travel experience outside of their home state or province (international travel experience is not required-program staff will travel with you to the U.S.).
- Be committed to the goals and ideals of the program, including civic leadership, diversity and fostering regional and global interactions.
- Not be employed by and/or do not have a familial relation to the Northern Nevada International Center, their Algerian partner Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développementor the U.S. Department of State.
For more information, visit AYLP.