Apply to join the Youth STEM Matters Team
Deadline: January 18, 2023
Apply to join the Youth STEM Matters Team. The Youth STEM Matters is led by an incredible team of young volunteers from around the world. They’re creating a platform for youth globally to share their research, ideas and innovations to tackle the world’s biggest challenges.
As part of the Youth STEM Team, you will be involved in the following activities:
- Team-Wide Projects: Everyone plays a part in team-wide projects, which focus on building Youth STEM Matters as an impactful and inclusive platform for youth globally. From organising an event, to making their articles more accessible, to conducting interviews for prospective team members, there’s loads you’ll get involved in.
- Specialism-Specific Tasks: As a Team Member, you’ll generally have at least one specialism, which lets you use your unique skillset to support their authors and give young people a platform to share their research, ideas and innovations. There’s a whole range of different specialisms within the team, so there’s something for everyone!
- Journal Development Days: 4 times a year, they bring the whole team together (virtually!) to reconnect their global community, talk all things journal development, and host skills & personal development workshops exclusively for their volunteers.
- Skills Development Workshops: Attend their regular expert-led workshops on skills and personal development, enabling you to grow, not only in your role on the team, but as a young scientist, innovator and STEM changemaker.
- Write Articles for Youth STEM Matters: Have a platform to share your voice on the issues that matter to YOUth and shine a spotlight on the STEM solutions to the world’s biggest challenges.
- Attend Youth STEM Matters Events: Get a guaranteed space at their Research Conferences (and the Youth STEM Summit) to learn from STEM professionals and young researchers & innovators.
- Join a global community of youth researchers, innovators and changemakers.
- Develop new skills, including teamwork, communication, critical evaluation, scientific writing, leadership and project management.
- Use Youth STEM Matters to gain volunteering hours.
- Additional opportunities to get involved in, like speaking at events, sharing your voice on international platforms, or interviewing awesome people making change through STEM.
- It looks great on your CV/resume or university & college applications.
- Most of all – make a real difference by being part of creating an impactful and inclusive platform for youth globally to share their research, ideas and innovations with the world.
This could be the perfect opportunity for you if you are…
- Passionate about their mission of empowering youth to use STEM to tackle global challenges.
- Enthusiastic to learn (but past experience not required) – you don’t need previous experience to join the team, but you do need to be ready to explore new topics & develop your skills through our training & skills development programmes.
- Based anywhere globally – their team works together 100% remotely.
- Aged 14-22 (or thereabouts) – this isn’t a strict age limit, just a guide for who they have designed this opportunity for.
- Committed to being an active member of the team, and enthusiastic about getting involved in all aspects of the Youth STEM Matters Team.
Once you’ve found a role that matches your interests, skills, and the amount of time you want to commit, it’s time to submit your application!
- Applications are submitted via a Google Form. In the application, you will be asked to provide some information about; yourself, the role(s) you are interested in, what stage of your education/training you’re currently at, and the details of at least one person (up to 2 people) who can provide a reference.
- You will also be asked to answer 3 questions, which will be used to determine whether your application reaches the next stage of selection.
- These 3 questions can all be completed in a range of formats. You can type straight into the application form, record your answers by video/voice note, create a poster or write a song/poem (or something else!) to answer the questions. If you need to send an attachment, you can either upload this to Google Drive (or a file sharing service) and send the link, or email your responses to [email protected] All parts of your application must be sent before the advertised deadline.
For more information, visit Youth STEM Team.