Deadline: May 1, 2023
Applications are open for the Falling Walls Global Call 2023. The Falling Walls Global Call is an international competition format that brings together science enthusiasts from diverse backgrounds. They are looking for the most recent and innovative Breakthroughs of the Year!
Falling Walls fosters discussion on research and innovation and promotes the latest scientific findings among a broad audience from all parts of society. They look forward to honouring the people who are finding solutions to these challenges at the Falling Walls Science Summit 2023.
- Life Sciences: The scientific study of life and organisms e.g. biology, neuroscience, zoology.
- Physical Sciences: The observation and understanding of natural phenomena of the earth, atmosphere and space, e.g. chemistry, physics, astronomy.
- Engineering & Technology: The practical application of science and mathematics to every-day life, e.g. artificial intelligence, information technology, mechanical engineering.
- Social Sciences & Humanities: The institutions and functioning of human society and the interpersonal relationships of individuals as members of society, e.g. politics, economics, philosophy.
- Art & Science: Artists whose work is inspired and influenced by science, which sheds light on societal issues, natural phenomena or simply the wonder of scientific discoveries.
- Science & Innovation Management: Significant advances, developments, achievements or an increase in (scientific) knowledge that remove barriers to progress in their respective fields.
- Emerging Talents (Falling Walls Lab): Next generation of students and early-career professionals from all disciplines to promote their exceptional ideas that create a positive impact on science and society.
- Science Start-ups (Falling Walls Venture): Innovative start-ups that have translated breakthrough scientific thinking into promising business models.
- Science Engagement (Falling Walls Engage): Forms of participatory science engagement initiatives that generate mutual learning between, and mutual benefits for, science and society.
- Nominations and applications are invited from all over the world.
- You can either nominate outstanding research or apply with your own project.
- The goal is to find excellent and groundbreaking research projects in the different categories. With “breakthrough research” they are specifically looking for projects that address global challenges and represent scientific knowledge in an innovative way. They encourage an interdisciplinary approach to science.
- For nominations, they invite leading academic institutions, universities, research organisations, companies, private and public research centres, academies, research funders, foundations, and individuals to nominate the bright minds behind the latest breakthroughs and outstanding science projects.
You can submit your nomination for the Falling Walls Science Breakthrough of the Year from 1 March – 1 May 2023.
As a nominator, you need to register on the online platform. You will be asked to fill out some information about yourself, and the project you wish to nominate. They recommend submitting your nomination as early as possible, so the nominee is able to accept the nomination and submit further information about their project before the deadline.
Note that applications have to be submitted in English.
For more information, visit Falling Walls Global Call.